Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Circus - my first trip

Last weekend, at the tender age of 23, I made my first trip to the circus. Fossett's circus were in Lucan, which so happens to be their 'hometown', if a circus can have such a thing. It's their 120th anniversary tour of Ireland - quite the achievement when you consider the rough times they have experienced of late which forced them into selling their animals to save a few sheckels. My expectations were mixed with this in mind but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. It wasn't a sell-out, if that's testiment to their week-long residency in Lucan or the lack of appeal to young'uns who have too much entertainment at hand I'm not sure. It had a charm about it that was certainly of days gone by and I think that was what was key to making it so enjoyable for a kid of 23. My first candy floss experience (seen above) was also positive, if a little sickening and sticky.

Favourites have to be the contortionist/acrobat girl who did a beautiful routine balancing candlesticks and the Brazilian flying trapeez troupe. The 3 bikers in the "cage of death" was awesome if a little scary. Some more photos on my flickr account. Vive la circus!

No comments: