Thursday, April 02, 2009

Why should I care about politics?

Last weekend I went to my first Ard Fheis, the Labour Party National Conference in Mullingar. I wouldn't describe myself as political in any sense but I always vote and try to keep an eye on what happens in the world of politics in general.

I went along (as hired help) with blogger & boards.ie Community Manager Darragh Doyle who wanted to interview some of the movers and shakers in the Irish Labour party. And boy did he get interviews. Eamonn Gilmore, Pat Rabbitte, Joan Burton, Prionsias de Rossa, Michael D.Higgins to name but half. How? He asked nicely. 

He's got some of the interviews online on his blog with more to come. The two main questions asked were:

"Why should I care about politics?" and "Why should I care about Labour?".

I left the conference on Saturday with huge respect and admiration for the Labour party and a refreshed interest and understanding of how politics affects each and every one of us, no matter how much we might dislike it. 

Congrats to Darragh on taking a fresh and unique approach to the conference and Irish politics with (what I think at least) are great results.

Photo via http://www.flickr.com/photos/labourparty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's mad the way I didn't know who you were last weekend when you helped Darragh interview me - but that you actually have a link to my blog. Sorry I didn't introduce myself properly

Ian McGahon